The railroad consulted with health authorities and we are happy to report that our operating plan was approved to operate as planned. On May 1st, our Summer Cascade Season kicked off with the Cascade Canyon Express departing from our Durango Depot. On May 22nd, our Silverton Summer Season began with trains departing from Durango and traveling to Silverton daily! Beginning May 19, 2021, all trains began operating at 100% capacity. And as of June 24th, passengers are no longer required to wear masks while riding the train. Guests are still required to wear masks while in the public areas of the depot and while in the museum.
As always, the D&SNGRR remains fully committed to ensuring the health and well-being of its guests, employees, vendors, and business partners. It fully supports all local, state and federal government health regulatory agencies overseeing COVID-19 restrictions and hygiene protocols. The company manages its train excursions, special events, and all railroad facilities with strict adherence to rigorous safety practices and procedures. If you have a reservation for any car, either open air or enclosed, we will be operating at 100% capacity on all cars beginning May 19, 2021. Per TSA requirements, as of 6/24/21, Durango & Silverton guests are only required to wear face masks while inside the public areas of the depot and museum. Passengers will not be required to wear masks onboard trains and on other areas of railroad property. In accordance with CDC guidance, we strongly encourage masks be worn by those individuals who are not fully vaccinated.
What to Expect
Traveling to Durango
- Durango and the state of Colorado allows businesses like ours to remain open with health and safety recommendations in place. The Transportation Security Administration has extended the face mask requirement for all transportation networks in the U.S. through Jan. 18, 2022. The mask requirement applies to Durango Transit trolleys and buses, the Transit Center, Durango-La Plata County Airport and on commercial aircraft. Masks are available on transit vehicles and at airline counters and the TSA screening checkpoint at the airport.
- Beginning May 19th, face coverings are optional in the city of Durango. The city’s resolution states that the city will no longer “actively enforce a mask wearing requirement.” The city’s resolution allows businesses to make their own decisions about requiring masks.
- If you are sick, experiencing symptoms, or have been around those who are sick, please stay home.
- Find more Durango specific guidelines here.
Enhanced Safety Measures
- Stricter protocols for cleaning all high-contact surfaces.
- Distributed hand sanitizer across the property.
- Sanitizing products used are all approved by the CDC and effectively eliminate the COVID-19 virus.
- Per TSA requirements, as of 6/24/21, Durango & Silverton guests are only required to wear face masks while inside the public areas of the depot and museum. Passengers will not be required to wear masks onboard trains and on other areas of railroad property.
Current Excursions and Experiences
Worry-Free and Flexible Booking
Purchase with Confidence
- Until May 23, 2021, the D&S waived all change or cancellation fees related to COVID for existing reservations. After May 23, the D&S will waive only change fees related to COVID on existing reservations through July 1, 2021.
- If you have made an error in your reservation or wish to change or cancel, please call us directly at (970) 247-2733 or (888) 872-4607. Cancellations and changes to existing reservations CANNOT be processed using the online system
- Customers who wish to rebook their train tickets are advised to send an email to [email protected] with the following information: date, time, steam or diesel service, and Coach or Gondola seating preferred. We will respond with confirmation of the change when processed.
- Customers may also call to rebook Monday-Friday 7am-6:30pm by phone 1-877-872-4607